Saturday, April 09, 2011

Theresa Milstein - Substitute Teacher

I have a BA and MA in History and am an extended term substitute, teaching 7th and 8th-grade Social Studies. I write children's books. My current pieces are YA fantasy/paranormal romance. If you want to read about my teaching and writing sagas, go to Substitute Teacher's Saga. If you want to read excerpts of queries and beginnings of manuscripts (especially if you're an agent or editor), visit Earnest Writer's Excerpts. My short story is going to be in 100 Stories for Queensland coming out soon.

1. In your fantasy works, do you often make up completely new worlds or interweave your ideas into the existing world?

My first manuscript, which was Harry Potter inspired, did create a new world, though it did exist hidden alongside the real world.  Since then, my stories are all our world with magical elements

2. Do you have any projects outside YA fantasy?

My first two buried manuscripts were middle grade fantasy.  And my short story “Daisy” about to be published in 100 Stories for Queensland is an adult realistic story.  Though it does have an interesting twist.

3. Where do you sit when writing? Do you use the computer or regular old pen and paper?

Have a laptop, will travel.  Most of my writing takes place with my laptop propped up on the wooden arm of my love seat in my living room.  If I’m alone, with my cat on my lap and the sun streaming through the bay window through the plants onto me, then I’m at my happiest. (Especially if a cup of coffee is by my side.) But sometimes my son is on the couch playing video games so I write while listening to death grunts.  And I’ll take my laptop to school and the children’s lessons.

4. What is/are your favorite blog(s) outside of the group?

Missed Periods and Other Grammar Scares has me laughing while I learn about grammar.  And I do love Query Shark, which also makes me laugh while I learn how to write better queries.  I have many favorite blogs that I visit regularly, and I have made many blogging friends.

5. What is your favorite fantasy creature (elf, dwarf, werewolf, etc.)?

Because I usually write stories about people who perform magic in realistic situations, I often shy away from stories with creatures.  I did write a vampire short story and a novel-length YA, so I get their appeal.  As far as reading about creatures, it depends on how it’s written.  Paranormalcy by Kiersten White created an interesting world full of magical creatures. And since Harry Potter is my favorite series, I’m partial to house elves and phoenixes.

14 comments:

  1. Awesome interview! Hooray for laptops, too. ^__^ Dobby is the ugliest thing I've ever seen, which makes him drop dead adorable! (Funny how that works. . .)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for interviewing me, Brooke.

    Madeline, I couldn't agree with you more. It's like with ET and Yoda, they're ugly-cute too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, great interview! Yay for house elves and phoenixes :)

    I can just picture you curled up with a cat. I think it would be kind of difficult to make up an entirely new world. But cool.

    And not having a regular writing spot is part of my problem....

    It was fun to get to know more about you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everyone being so pleased makes me really glad that I did this. ^^

    Lizzie says her dog is ugly in a cute way but I just think he's cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Interview, Brooke! Theresa is such a creative writer and blogger. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Brooke E Busse for interviewing the amazing Theresa Milstein!!! I can't wait to read her story "Daisy"!!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good interview! Now I know why you related to my poem, In That Room. I can see you sitting in that room as your write on your laptop.
    Smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great interview! I love that image of writing with a cat in the sun - it's what I like to do as well, but I'm still partial to pen and paper...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoyed the interview. I laways enjoy hearing about how and what people write. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely interview. I loved reading about you, Theresa!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay for laptops and cats. Loved reading, Theresa. Super interview Brooke!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Theresa,

    Thank you so much for the shout out. I love your blog so much that I am truly, truly honored that you like mine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks to everyone who visited and commented. This was fun!

    ReplyDelete