Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Bess Weatherby - Closet Novelist

I'm a New York nanny and closet-novelist. No seriously. I live in a closet. My life is extremely fancy.

1. In your fantasy works, do you often make up completely new worlds or interweave your ideas into the existing world?

I won’t set something in our current world because it’s just far too complicated with all the mass communication. I don’t know how Gossip Girl does it. But I also don’t know how Tolkien did the opposite, creating an entire world of his own. That would take a lifetime. Oh wait, it did. My third book was historical fiction...ish. Let's just say I like to embellish. Now I’m somewhere in-between; my characters have cars and crossbows. They ride horses and bomb people with fireworks. Let's just say the Fourth of July is going to be a whole different holiday.

2. Do you have any projects outside YA fantasy?

Yes. I’m writing a book about my grandparent’s life. Muz – she’s fabulous. And Art – he’s hilarious. Especially when we call him Fart. Which I think he likes . . .

3. Where do you sit when writing? Do you use the computer or regular old pen and paper?

I used to strictly compose on my computer, but that's difficult to lug around the city. I keep imagining writing a blog post to tell everyone that my computer has been stolen and I've lost everything. So I have gone back to straight old moleskin notebook and sharpie. This is especially difficult on the subway. I got yelled at the other day by this old lady who said my pen smelled bad. Harsh?

4. What is/are your favorite blog(s) outside of the group?

Oh boy. Here we go.

5. What is your favorite fantasy creature (elf, dwarf, werewolf, etc.)?

Elves. No question. I still want to be one when I grow up.

7 comments:

  1. Aww, shucks. Thanks for the plug. :)

    I love your blog, too, Bess. Your take on life in NYC is as entertaining as it is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! It's up! Thanks so much Brooke!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's my pleasure, Bess. ^^ And I just finished reading all your blog posts! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome interview, Brooke! I don't understand how you people can write with pencils and paper. I can barely make it through school without losing a hand. xD I wish I was an elf. Than I could talk to Legolas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview. I can't write first drafts on the computer myself. Need that old paper and pen. Never though about the smell of creativity bothering anyone before! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay, I'm a favourite blog! Thanks Bess =D

    I always wanted to be the human swept away by the handsome elf ;)

    ReplyDelete