Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Senseless

sand grates
against
the soles
of his feet

but all he feels
is the
sticky hand
in his

azure water
reflecting
the golden sun
lies at his feet

but all he sees
are sunburned cheeks
and twin
blonde braids

sea gulls
squawk and call
to one
another

but all he hears
is endless
happy chattering
mixed with giggles

salt and brine
tint the very
air he
breathes

but all he tastes
is one lick
of strawberry lollipop
she allowed

fish
strong and heavy
head and alive
pervades the air

but all he smells
is her
almost washed away
suntan lotion

he is senseless

4 comments:

  1. He is so gone in the head. This sounds like a boy in love. And poetically done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Angela. I find it interesting that you see that. I was intending to write about a father who has lost his daughter, perhaps to that very sea. I'm not entirely sure.

      Delete
  2. I like the contrasting stanzas, and especially the lines "but all he smells
    is her
    almost washed away
    suntan lotion"
    I can seriously imagine smelling suntan lotion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it. ^^ Took me forever to come up with a good smell. Sunscreen is definitely a distinct scent for me.

      Delete