Friday, April 20, 2012

I Guess This is What I Get for Calling Seven a Clique Number

I'm a firm believer that seven (and three too) is a clique number. It doesn't matter that Harry Potter is amazing or that in THINKING OF YOU each team has seven people. Seven is clique. End of story.

Which is probably the reason this meme uses seven as it's center point. -sigh-

However, I do consider the meme itself to be unique. And I've been tagged by Tara Tyler, Christopher S. Ledbetter, and Kate Coursey. Plus just everyone is doing it. So I'm going to participate.

The Rules (and at least there aren't seven of them)
  1. Go to page 77 of your current MS/WIP.
  2. Go to line 7.
  3. Copy down the next 7 lines – sentences or paragraphs – and post them as they’re written. No cheating.
  4. Tag 7 authors.
  5. Let them know.
Since I've been tagged three times, I'm going to post three excerpts. Lucky you. (Yes, you're very punny, Brooke.)
looked like it was an effort for him not to frown. Their features were distinctly different, only their hair and eye color proved they were siblings.
           “I never knew there were so many people with violet eyes in the world,” he whispered and handed it back.
           He could sense Acorn’s hesitation before she spoke. “William, have you considered that these people might be your parents? I mean, they share your name. And how many people have eyes like that? You know, not many.”
-from THE LULLABY
going to make that happen.
           I managed to press the keypad through the denim of my pants and get inside the car. I quickly reached over and locked all the doors. Erinn was still crowing after me, yelling things that might have been curses or might have been the sweetest nursery rhyme, the words completely primal and unrecognizable.
           I should have gotten the keys out while I was still standing. It was harder to maneuver in the car, around the wheel and the console and the broken arm.
-from SHADOWMAN
light peaking through, reaching down to almost my feet. My feet shuffled across the carpet, only eight steps usually but now just one eternal one. My right hand reached out, white with fingers splayed, kind of looked like a skeleton hand. It pushed against Mom’s door, ever so slightly. In gave in easy, with just the littlest creak.
           The last time I had been in here searching for something, it was for information about Lillian, Dad’s first and only real love. And I had found what I was looking for. But I hadn’t liked it. Why did dead people always lead to me snooping through my parents’ personal stuff?
-from GHOST SISTER
So there you go. Exactly seven lines from each of my last three (so many cliques!) rough drafts completely unedited. Don't be too harsh.

And, if you're not too tired of sevens yet, here are the seven I'm passing it on to.
  1. Angela Brown - I know she has more WIPs to show us and I've been enjoying her pieces for the A-Z Challenge.
  2. Steph Sinkhorn - Her current manuscript is amazing. And if she can't show it to us (she has an agent!) she'll probably have something else just as amazing up her sleeve.
  3. Rachel Morgan - I'm hoping to get a sneak peak at Creepy Hollow #3. ;)
  4. Teralyn Pilgrim - She's an amazing blogger and I want to see a bit of one of her WIPs. Her writing has both an exciting and a soothing effect on me.
  5. Ella - I want to see what her writing is like. She is slowly posting one of her stories on a nonblog website, but I haven't had time to check it out.
  6. Madeline Bartos - I have the feeling she needs post topics and I want to see what she's working on. (The girl gets a lot of ideas.)
  7. Nick Hight - He's a new blogging buddy and what better way to get to know a person than through their writing?

8 comments:

  1. Thanks, Brooke. I really enjoyed your three excerpts. GHOST SISTER left me really wanting more.

    And I've got a WiP I'm sure I can pull out and do this meme with :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you, Angela. I'm really glad since they're first drafts. ^^

      Yay!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the tag! I like that last line from Ghost Sister ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rachel. ^^ And I can't wait to see what you come up with for the tag.

      Delete
  3. That's some of the nicest things anyone has every said about my blog! Thanks for the mention, and the challenge. I look forward to participating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it's all true. ^^ I look forward to your response.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the link back to this one :) I love how many novels you've written!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, but it doesn't do you any good to write them if you don't ever rewrite/revise/edit them! Besides, I haven't written near as many as you. ;)

      Delete