Sunday, December 05, 2010

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Pages: 734

We're over half way through the series now and it only took us a little over two weeks to get there. I consider that very poor on my part but I'm hoping I will read the next three books swiftly. The fifth book is my favorite, it has so much detail, so here's to hoping I can finish it quickly. Right now, though, we are not talking about the fifth book; we are talking about the fourth. Let's get to it.

Through this whole book every character is realistic, everything that they say, that they do. That is until you get to page 712 where there is a small bump in this pattern. When Sirius transforms into a person from his dog state here is Mrs. Weasley's reaction: "Sirius Black!" she shrieked, pointing at him. That is exactly what you would expect as she thinks he's a murderer but after that you don't hear her say anything else about it. I guess this line was supposed to calm her: "Mum, shut up!" Ron yelled. "It's okay!" You would still think she would want some kind of explanation though, before she just goes silent about it.

Something that makes me smile in this book, besides the witty dialogue, is Rita Skeeter. Not because I like her but because of what she does and what happens to her. Now I would like to clarify I'm talking about the way she turns into a beetle and not how she writes when I say what she does. Every time a beetle is mentioned I can't help but grin at this wonderful idea. Of course, the very first time I read this, I didn't know she was a beetle so I didn't enjoy catching all of the little hints to it until the end. Now though I'm in on the secret and I'm loving it.

There was one part in this book that made me very angry as well as sad. It's in Chapter Eighteen, pages 299 and 300. Malfoy and Harry have just sent hexes at one another and they accidentally hit Goyle and Hermione instead. When looking at Goyle, whose face has started to sprout large boils, Snape calmly tells him to go to the hospital wing. When looking at Hermione, whose front teeth are growing larger by the minute, he simply says, "I see no difference." I was so mad at Snape it was like he was real and standing right in front of me. It was a very cruel thing to say but, it was very real, and that's what made the scene good.

Overall, this book was a very important piece of the story. With Lord Voldemort rising and the Minister of Magic refusing to accept it many things could happen. I will, of course, be telling you of those things, in my next review. Here's to hoping that comes as soon as possible.

The next book in the Wonderful Week of Harry Potter is Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

1 comment:

  1. I like the review. Great job, Brooke. :)

    PS: Have you checked this site called Mugglenet? Google it if you have time, it's so cool.

    ReplyDelete