Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Happy Dance Coming Soon to a YouTube Channel Near You

On October 4, 2011, I finished my rewrite of THE LULLABY.

And you know what, I felt nothing. Absolutely no different. But I think it's finally starting to sink in. My stomach is getting fluttery and I have this urge to grin and act silly. (This may in part also have to do with my first author signing coming up soonish and the soda I just drank.) Now would be the perfect time for a happy dance video, except I don't look so glamorous and Windows Movie Maker is being uncooperative.

I finished my second draft of THE LULLABY at 45,974 words, which is a 15,738 word increase from the first draft. Of course, I already know that I'm going to cut the first two chapters, but I'm also going to add scenes. Who knows, maybe by the end of the third draft I'll have a fairly normal sized YA novel.

Speaking of the third draft, I won't be delving into that until January. This month is for the planning of SHADOWMAN (you remember that right?) and GHOST SISTER and November is, of course, for writing them. I've also decided to focus on THINKING OF YOU during December. It could really use some love.

What are your plans for the rest of the year? How do you prioritize your projects?

*Did you see my latest post? If not, please check it out here. I could really use your help. Thanks to all of you who have already voted! I <3 you, too.

10 comments:

  1. Yay for you! Thinking about the rest of this year, I've got a revision to finish this month, 25K left on a first draft, and then the first revision of another. We ought to be plenty busy, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see the happy dance! For the rest of the year, my plan is to finish this draft that I'm working on and get to revising.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOOT! I'm excited that you're doing 2 novels during NaNo as well!

    My plans for the rest of year are...write 50k on each of my NaNo novels...read a couple more books to fulfill my (recently upped for the second time) reading goal...finish my paper edit to Scrivener transfers...send off SUNDOWN to my beta reader...and look at my goals list to figure out what else I haven't done yet. Oh, wait, finish Chrysalis! :D That's another.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on finishing your draft. I'm so looking forward to one day reading something longer of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do not plan out three months at a time. But my plan this evening is to eat dinner, go to the gym, and watch Modern Family, Harry's Law, and American Horror Story while harassing people on twitter from my iPad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Angelina How long does it usually take you to revision a draft? And how do you know how much more you need to write? I never do know, unless it's NaNo, then it's really just that many words until I reach my goal.

    @Jeigh I can't either. First I have to get another video editor or figure out how to convert videos. -sticks out tongue- So you're a one project at a time type of person?

    @Trisha I didn't add Chrysalis because I was mostly focusing on month-by-month goals and my WIPS. You are I are going to be super busy for the rest of our lives.

    @Sarah Why thank you. ^^ I do fear that my longer projects aren't quite as good.

    @Michael XD I wish I had time to watch that much TV.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How long does it take to revise a draft, you ask? Hmmm. My first drafts are usually around 60K. After I've polished as much as i can, I send to beta readers, then I revise the things that resonate. However long it takes. I finished this last revision in one week. But it was like the 20th time I've revised this particular novel and there were only small tweaks to make. ^_^ Does that help?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes. You must have some fast beta readers. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  9. Once that dazed exhaustion starts to wear off, watch out happy dance. :) Congratulations, Brooke; I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes! It will be here. I will make sure of it! Thank you, Michelle.

    ReplyDelete