I love coming up with character names. I love the creativity, the thought, that goes into it, finding new names that, even if they aren't the one, speak to you, and, most of all, that feeling you get when you finally find the perfect fit. Like putting the last piece in a jigsaw puzzle.
Yesterday, I made my final decisions on the character names for my NaNo novel. I'm super excited about them and thought I'd share.
Before I get into the names, however, I should probably tell you the main idea behind my novel. It is based off the concept that luck can be a gene. Naturally, this gives people varying advantages and disadvantages in life. Due to the nature of these advantages/disadvantages, certain activities, such as gambling, have been outlawed. This has prompted a sort-of second Prohibition. Traveling gambling houses, with names like MARCO'S HOUSE OF OCCASIONALLY PROSPEROUS GAMING, abound throughout the country. When my main character, who has an acute curiosity and a draw to card games, stumbles upon this very house, she runs away with it. This is a retake on the phrase "running away with the circus."
- February St. Claude - protagonist, sixteen, lives in a compound away from society's "unluck" gene discrimination
- Erie St. Claude - February's sister, fourteen, feels like she's in her sister's shadow, lives in compound
- Rhys Baker - the boy everyone, including February, expects February to end up with, February's close friend, lives in compound
- 'Van Jacques ["Jacques" of Spades] - travels with the gambling house, helps February satisfy her curiosity about the world, love interest
- Kapri Jacques [Kap] - 'Van's sister, travels with the gambling house, becomes February's first close female friend
- Christian Hart [Ian/Kit] - frequent visitor of the gambling house, from prosperous family, good friends with 'Van, takes a small romantic interest in February
- Dillyn Elliott - Ian's girlfriend, disapproves of his gambling, slowly forms a friendship with February
- Marco - the gambling house master
- Mum [Ambrose Jacques] - 'Van and Kapri's grandmother, has large influence in the gambling house, becomes a sort of mentor to February
What do you think? Feel free to ask questions. I would love to talk NaNoWriMo with you. ^^
Now that I have the characters and their names settled, I'm going to focus more on my plot. I've begun to create this fantastic world in my mind and I want the plot to do it justice. So far, I've only done broad brainstorming. It's time to make decisions and add more details.
Also, would you be interested in reading excerpts about each character throughout November? I was thinking I might post them on my Tumblr, but would you rather read them here? Let me know!
How is your NaNoWriMo planning going?
P.S. I did a similar post to this back in October 2010 for THINKING OF YOU.